September 15-17, 2017 at URJ Eisner Camp
Jewish teens in grades 10-12 from New York, New Jersey, and New England will come together for this annual leadership experience with a unique focus on Jewish Justice, Social Advocacy, and Entrepreneurship.
The Summit is designed to empower teens to become change agents:
- Friday: Coming together as a community and discovering their inspirations.
- Saturday: Learning and shaping an idea.
- Sunday: Producing meaningful impact.
The Summit provides real-life skill building with a focus on entrepreneurship, critical thinking, collaboration, creativity, and risk taking. At the end of the Summit, participants will pitch their ideas in a "Shark-Tank" style program (#SharkTankMuseum); judges will invest real dollars in the most compelling pitches; participants will go home inspired and excited about the potential of their own ideas. This is a great event for those looking to create real positive change and add substance to their resumes.
- All teens - returning and new participants - must be nominated by a lay leader or Jewish professional (clergy, educator, youth worker) in their local Jewish community. Participants should currently be grades 9-11.
- All URJ congregations and Jewish communities in New York, New Jersey, and New England are welcome to nominate up to five teens. We encourage congregations to consider nominating current and potential teen leaders.
- Teens who hold regional leadership positions in NFTY-NE, NFTY-NAR, and NFTY-GER may be nominated by their respective Regional Directors.
- URJ Eisner and Crane Lake Camp Olim Graduates (2015-2017) will be nominated by their respective Camp Directors.
- Nomination Deadline: June 15, 2017
- Event is open to new and returning participants - All participants must be nominated and in grades 10-12 during the 2017-2018 school year.
- #SharkTankMuseum winners will be expected to participant in post-event meetings and/or workshops (see below for more details).
- Registration is in the URJ NFTY database. When registering for this event, select the “2018 season” and enter your grade for the 2017-2018 school year. When choosing your event, select “show events” under Northeast Teen Collective and select “The Dana Gershon and Rabbi Jonah Pesner Northeast Leadership Summit.”
- Cost: $250 per person including transportation (need-based scholarships are available upon request)
- Registration Deadline: July 15, 2017
This summit taught me to think about leadership in totally new ways. I learned a lot about marketing/owning a business and creating lasting change. I will use what I learned throughout my life and to make this world a better place. - Anonymous, Teen Participant
As a participant at the first-ever Northeast Leadership Summit, I found myself most inspired by the realness of what we did. Not only did I learn new skills, like marketing, but I also helped to create real initiatives and projects that are already impacting so many (see #SharkTankMuseum for more details). One of the workshops on Israel motivated me to work with my friends to create a new initiative focused on Israel education and advocacy. - Shira, Teen Participant
I have seen tremendous growth from my teens who participated in the Northeast Leadership Summit. Since attending they have become confident stakeholders in our temple youth community. Now, they are our co-presidents of strategic programming and planning. They are implementing strategies taught at the Summit and mentor other teens in our youth group and temple community. - Joni, Youth Professional, NY
Welcome & Check-In
Tefila including Keynote from Rabbi Jonah Pesner, Director of the Religious Action Center
WORKSHOP: #INSPIRATION - Participants will get to know new people; gain greater awareness of other people’s perspectives; and concretize and share what inspires them to take action.
Laila Tov! Good Night!
Boker Tov! Good Morning! Breakfast
WORKSHOP: #KNOWLEDGE - Each workshop will be facilitated by a professional from an internationally recognized Jewish or non-profit organization. All workshops will have 10-25 participants, will give participants new Judaic knowledge, and challenge participants to think about how they can bring their ideas to life and inspire others. 2016 Workshop descriptions - these will be updated for 2017.
WORKSHOP: #STRATEGY - Each workshop will be facilitated by a professional from an internationally recognized Jewish or non-profit organization. All workshops will have 10-25 participants and will help participants learn new skills to bring their ideas to life in new and creative ways. 2016 Workshop descriptions - these will be updated for 2017.
IDEASLAM- Participants will share their ideas, choose an idea or project to focus on for the rest of the Summit and select their #SharkTankMuseum teams.
WORKSHOP: #MARKETING - This workshop has three main parts: (1) Marketing 101; (2) Panel – How to balance idealism and realism; and (3) prepare for #SharkTankMuseum program.
Laila Tov! Good Night!
Boker Tov! Good Morning! Breakfast
WORKSHOP: #SHARKTANKMUSEUM - The #SharkTankMuseum aims to bring exciting and innovative ideas to life! Reflecting upon their purpose statement and newfound knowledge and skills, participants will prepare an elevator pitch and marketing campaign for the #SharkTankMuseum! Judges will review their presentations and are prepared to invest real dollars in their ideas.
Depart (bagged lunches on buses)
The #SharkTankMuseum is the culminating program at the Summit and seeks to bring exciting and innovative ideas to life. Reflecting upon their inspiration and newfound knowledge and skills, participants prepare an elevator pitch and marketing campaign for donors who view their presentations, offer critical feedback, and invest real dollars in their ideas.
#SharkTankMuseum winners will...
- be expected to participant in post-event meetings and/or workshops to work on their projects.
- be highlighted in a URJ publication;
- receive the allocation of funds throughout the development process at the discretion of the Director of the Northeast Teen Collective; &
- receive ongoing mentorship and support from the Director of the Northeast Teen Collective.
We are excited to share the growing list of presenters and partners who will join us at this year's Summit!